Understanding the mechanism of garage door is important before attempting garage door repair work. Any kind of electronic and mechanical device has a tendency to break with frequent use. The same rule applies to the garage door. It tends to create some issues after a few years. Therefore, the garage door needs regular maintenance and occasional repairs. You can perform garage door services yourself if you understand the mechanism of garage door and comfortable with the handy tool. But it is strongly recommended that call a professional like, Excelsior Garage Door Repair tackle the garage door problems and to make garage door more efficient. Following is a brief guide that will help you to understand the mechanism of the garage door.
Understanding the garage door working
There are two main parts of the garage door, one is the door itself and the other is the support devices like, springs, opener, rollers, and hinges that help the door to open and close. When some problems encountered with the door it may stop working or show different patterns.
Tips for garage door repair
When the garage door goes up, high tension is created on the springs. Special metal tracks will be active to help the garage door to move upward or downward. If the garage door does not move smoothly or start making some creaking noises, the problem may relate to garage door tracks. The following are the garage door repair and maintenance tips.
- Check the garage door tracks to ensure that they will be in good shape. Hinges should be properly aligned to the metal tracks. If your garage door has any dents, crimps, or flats, use the piece of word or a hammer to straighten up them. If damages are serious, do replace them.
- Check the alignment between springs and tracks. The springs should be mounted properly either on the top or on the sides of the door. If you still feel any discrepancy, lose the brackets and put them back to adjust at their right position. You can use a screwdriver to fix them.
- Don’t forget to lubricate all the moving parts of the garage door. Use lubricating spray or grease to lubricate the springs. If you look rusted garage door rollers and tracks, clean them with a damp cloth. But they become weak or damaged and may not fix by a simple repair. They need immediate replacement.
- Inspect the door itself to find out any damages. If the garage door is not in good condition, replace it without wasting time. Consider buying a new garage door from a reputed and registered company.
- Check, there may be something that obstructs the path of the garage door. Clean the accumulated grease and junks from its path. Use a flashlight to find the dust and clean it with a cotton cloth.
Remember; don’t attempt garage door repair work yourself. Call a professional technician to fix and replace the garage door springs or tracks. Any garage door maintenance or replacement task should be done under the supervision of experts.